More academics are getting social-media savvy on Twitter, and we think it’s a good thing! It provides great opportunity to build community, collaborate, and share research. We know that when you’re a newbie on Twitter, it can feel totally lonely and downright confusing. This is why we have come up with the top 10 accounts every academic researcher should have on their Twitter following list, after SA of course!
These are not institutions or formal organisations (we should have a separate list for this), just individuals who have so much value to add to the academic community.
Here we go (and in NO particular order):
1. Shit Academics Say (174K followers) – Sarcasm @ 200% – the ultimate stress-buster!
The difference between procrastination and “productive procrastination” is the difference between one Netflix episode and finishing a series
— Shit Academics Say (@AcademicsSay) February 16, 2016
2. Academic Pain (5K followers) – the perfect
gift GIF to mirror the pain.
— Academic Pain (@AcademicPain) February 23, 2016
3. Thesis Whisperer (25K followers)- All the support you could ever need on the PhD journey is right here.
Friends, your help please! What are some of the unhelpful things people have said to you about PhD Study? Doing a post #phdchat Pls RT
— Dr Inger Mewburn (@thesiswhisperer) February 12, 2016
4. Pat Thompson (8.5K) – bookmark her page as a guide to academic writing.
— pat thomson (@ThomsonPat) February 22, 2016
5. From PhD to Life (10.4K) – thinking post-PhD life? She’s a coach to have in your corner!
“I came to the realization that an academic career was not for me” https://t.co/F2SlgH9GEr
— Jennifer Polk (@FromPhDtoLife) February 23, 2016
6.Writing for Research (31.7K) – helpful resource for writing creative non-ficiton.
The Simple Guide to Academic Podcasting https://t.co/YHdN5OM1gH
— Writing For Research (@Write4Research) February 21, 2016
7. Jobs.ac.uk (12.6K) – useful advice blog posts & undoubtedly first port-of-call in academic job search.
— jobsacuk (@jobsacuk) February 22, 2016
8. Piirus (3.8K followers) – for cross-disciplinary & international research collaborations!
— Piirus Com (@piirus_com) February 23, 2016
9. Research Exchange (4.3K followers) – engaging stories about PhD Life!
— Research Exchange (@ResearchEx) February 23, 2016
10. Research Whisperer (21K followers) – shepherds you through the arcane world of academic research
— Research Whisperer (@researchwhisper) February 19, 2016
Who is on your must-follow list that we haven’t mentioned? Please drop them in comments, and we’ll update this list!
More suggestions from everyone below!
New! @ResearchMark (15.3k followers) This account has the best academic memes ever!
New! @LSEimpactblog (29.5K) For social scientists seeking to increase their impact in government policy, society, & business
New! @athenedonald (12.8K) Physics Professor Cambridge University, researching interface with biology; interested in gender issues…